Over the years, cosmetic dentistry is becoming more and more popular for the wide range of benefits it offers from whitening and shaping, to closing gaps and spaces and replacing teeth.Cosmetic dentistry offers more benefits far beyond improving your appearance, in fact it offers advantages for the overall quality of your life.
Cosmetic dentistry refers to the dental work that improves the appearance (though not necessarily the function) of a person’s teeth, gums and/or bite. It focuses on the dental aesthetics like color, shape, position, size, alignment and overall smile appearance.
What is a cosmetic dentist?
A cosmetic dentist is a restorative dentist who has extensively studied the concepts of smile design and dental materials to create what could best be described as works of art. The cosmetic dentist goes beyond restoring an individual’s teeth to its function, he or she aims to achieve the most ideal result based on the patient’s definition of beauty.
During your consultation with your cosmetic dentist, you need to be very detailed about the smile that you want. You need to describe very well what you want and what you do not want about your smile. Once your dentists understands the end result that you want to achieve, he or she can explain to you the treatment options and plan a course of action.
What are the dental treatments included in cosmetic dentistry?
- Teeth whitening – teeth whitening can be done either at home or at a dental clinic. This is a rather inexpensive way to brighten smile. There are many ways and methods to choose from.
- Composite Bonding – to improve the appearance and strength of a chipped teeth, a tooth-colored composite resin is attached to the teeth. This procedure may include very little preparation.
- Porcelain and composite veneers – veneers are hard, thin shells of tooth-colored material that can mask a variety of dental imperfections.
- Porcelain crowns – porcelain crowns are more natural looking than veneers. These are used to cover heavily damaged teeth
- Porcelain bridgework – porcelain bridgework replaces missing tooth and is attached to the natural teeth on either side of the space
- Dental implants – an implant is used to replace the root portion of a missing tooth, and is usually made of titanium. To create a natural looking replacement for the entire tooth, the implant is fitted with a crown
- Inlays and onlays – inlays refers to the fillings applied to the inside of the tooth that are fabricated from porcelain or composite materials in a dental laboratory to more closely match the color of a tooth
- Tooth colored fillings – tooth colored fillings are fillings that are barely noticeable because color is matched to the color of the teeth
- Clear Orthodontic aligners – instead of metal braces, many teenagers and adults are opting for clear orthodontic aligners to straighten their teeth
- Cosmetic gum surgery –minor surgery can reshape gum tissue to give it a more leveled appearance.
- Tooth Contouring and reshaping – Cosmetic dentists can use a drill or laser to smooth out or reshape teeth.
Learn more about the benefits that cosmetic dentistry offers:
- Cosmetic dentistry can correct numerous aesthetic flaws.
Cosmetic dentistry can correct or conceal many concerns such as stains, misshapen teeth, proportionately small teeth, chips, cracks, gapped teeth, ragged gum lines, and more. It produces the results you want. It can even be used to correct the following problems:
- Hereditary dental problems
- Developmental abnormalities
- Cosmetic treatment can make you look younger.
Cosmetic treatments can correct issues that are caused by aging including discoloration and dental erosion.
- Cosmetic treatment can enhance your career.
Having good teeth appearance can make you feel more confident and with more confidence, you are likely to take on greater responsibility and leadership. You will also look happier and that will give you more motivation and dedication to your career.
- Some procedures can help prevent future damage
There are certain procedures under cosmetic dentistry that also strengthens teeth aside from improving their appearance. One example is bonding.
- Cosmetic dentistry can boost your self-confidence.
With an improved overall appearance, you will enjoy greater self-assurance. Aside from looking good in the mirror, you will also feel good about socializing
- Cosmetic dentistry is fairly easy to find
Many dentists specialize in this field and a lot of treatments under cosmetic dentistry can be performed by a general dentist. The field is so widespread that it is easy to find a dentist who can help you with cosmetic work so you will not have to travel far.
- Recovery time is relatively short
While the recovery time depends on the procedure you have done, the times are usually fairly short and simple to recover from. It is also reported that the success rate of the cosmetic procedures are high.
- Cosmetic dentistry has long lasting effects.
Unlike any other cosmetic procedures, cosmetic dental procedures can last up to more than 10 years.